Happy Holiday greetings and Merry Christmas to one and all! I hope everyone is having a good holiday season. The winter solstice has passed in the Northern Hemisphere. From now until June, the days will slowly get longer. Across North America, the winter weather has been unusually tepid considering it’s December. We’ll continue our look at winter weather safety this week with a quick wind chill review. There are many other interesting stories to review, so let’s get started.
- The James Webb telescope is the latest instrument launched to look into our amazing universe. How will it compare to the long lasting Hubble telescope?
- No white Christmas this year for me. Even folks who have one almost every year will be celebrating the holiday sans snow. “The Twelve Days of Christmas Have Grown More Than 8 Degrees F Warmer in Parts of the U.S.“
- This is an excellent and concise overview of the irreversible damage that can be caused by an unusually warm winter.
- In many metrics and statistics, the recent tornado events of December 2021 broke many records and were exceptional events that would be substantial even if they occurred in May. This is an excellent overview of these remarkable events from the Capital Weather Gang.
- ICYMI: It’s no secret that tornadoes that occur at night are often more deadly and, depending on the storm mode, may be in a high precipitation supercell moving at a very fast speed. It’s these ingredients, along with regional factors, that make tornadoes in the southeastern USA more deadly than their great plains counterparts.
- The latest US Drought Monitor from NDMC and NOAA shows how severe drought conditions continue to persist across much of the western contiguous USA.
WINTER WEATHER SAFETY
This infographic is a review of calculating wind chill. This is one of the most important winter weather hazards and can affect the human body in many ways.
Please keep in mind that ONLY NOAA weather radio, your local National Weather Service office, or reliable broadcast media are the BEST sources of important, timely, and potentially life-saving information on winter storm watches, warnings, and other related weather advisories! None of the links on this page should be used for life-&-death decisions or the protection of property!
That’s a wrap for this post! For those of you celebrating the holiday season, I hope it is a happy and healthy one for you and your loved ones. A big ‘Thank You’ to my followers in social media. If you’re on Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram, let’s connect! As for the COVID-19 pandemic, get vaccinated, sport a good fitting quality mask, practice good hand-washing hygiene, mind your social distancing, stay positive, and test negative!
See you next Saturday…Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Media inquiries: email@example.com
Please note: queries regarding marketing, promotions, sales schemes, prizes, or papers/research that have not been under & approved by scientific peer review will not be accepted.
Copyright © 1998 – 2021 Tornado Quest, LLC