Happy Holiday greetings and Happy New Year to one and all! I hope everyone is having a good holiday season. This is the beginning of a new year. Here’s to it being a better year for all of us. Across North America, drought persists across much of the lower 48 as the first substantial Arctic air mass makes its way into the Great Plains. We’ll continue our look at winter weather safety this week with a review of wind chill. There are many other interesting stories to review, so let’s get started.
- First, some good news. The James Webb space telescope is well underway, but there are several challenging weeks ahead before it becomes fully functional.
- Here’s another good news story. “Natural History Museum identifies more than 500 new species in 2021.“
- It’s well known that tsunamis can bring incredible devastation and death across vast areas. Here’s an interesting read on how we could get a better warning of their impending approach.
- Wildfires across several continents set many records in 2021 and climate change is clearly playing a big part.
- As our climate changes, so will the patterns we will see with hurricanes according to a new study.
- The latest US Drought Monitor shows little change from the previous week with much of the contiguous USA in a persistent drought.
WINTER WEATHER SAFETY
This infographic is an excellent overview of how to dress for the cold weather and wind chill. Frostbite and hypothermia can easily be prevented by dressing according to this chart and being keenly aware of air temperature and wind speeds.
Please keep in mind that ONLY NOAA weather radio, your local National Weather Service office, or reliable broadcast media are the BEST sources of important, timely, and potentially life-saving information on winter storm watches, warnings, and other related weather advisories! None of the links on this page should be used for life-&-death decisions or the protection of property!
That’s a wrap for this post! I hope the new year is happy and healthy one for you and your loved ones. A big ‘Thank You’ to my followers in social media. If you’re on Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram, let’s connect! As for the COVID-19 pandemic, get vaccinated, sport a good fitting quality mask, practice good hand-washing hygiene, mind your social distancing, stay positive, and test negative!
See you next Saturday! Happy New Year!
Media inquiries: email@example.com
Please note: queries regarding marketing, promotions, sales schemes, prizes, or papers/research that have not been under & approved by scientific peer review will not be accepted.
Copyright © 1998 – 2022 Tornado Quest, LLC