Greetings to everyone! I hope this week’s post finds all of you doing well. Across much of North America, a brutal heat wave that has turned lethal continues to have many states in its grip. Because of this ongoing and very serious danger, we’ll continue this week with safety infographics on heat safety. There are many other essential reads to review, so let’s get started.
- This is an excellent analysis of hundreds of scientific studies. “Revealed: how climate breakdown is supercharging toll of extreme weather.”
- This is a concise overview of the deadliest kind of flooding you’re most likely to encounter…flash flooding.
- While on the topic of floods, it’s imperative that you know your risk of being in a flood regardless of where you live.
- Many USA cities are not prepared for this kind of heat. “Hotter than Dubai: US cities at risk of Middle Eastern temperatures by 2100.“
- August is well underway and so is the continuation of dry and above average temperatures expected for much of the contiguous USA.
SUMMER WEATHER SAFETY
Summer heat is the leading causes of weather related death and illness. Due to its slow yet potentially deadly ways in which is affects the human body, even the most physically fit individual who is well hydrated can succumb to heat exhaustion or heat stroke very quickly. As of mid July, over ten deaths have occurred in the USA due to individuals being left in vehicles. All of those fatalities were preventable. Summer heat is often called the ‘silent killer‘ and for good reason. Much of the contiguous USA is in the midst of a brutal heat wave with little to no relief in long range forecasts. Take the heat safety information below very seriously. It could save a life.
The Heat Index is a very important part of summer safety. Here’s an excellent page from the National Weather Service in Amarillo, Texas that explains how to calculate heat index and why it’s important.
That’s a wrap for this post! Thanks to everyone for stopping by. A big ‘Thank You’ to my followers in social media. If you’re on Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or Facebook, let’s connect! As for the COVID-19 pandemic, stay safe, stay positive, and test negative!
See you next Saturday!
Media inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: queries regarding marketing, promotions, sales schemes, prizes, or papers/research that have not been under & approved by scientific peer review will not be accepted.
Copyright © 1998 – 2022 Tornado Quest, LLC