Greetings to one and all. For much of North America, the start of the meteorological winter has gotten a mild beginning. In fact, as you man have heard, some of the higher elevations in Hawaii had a blizzard warning before one had been issued in the contiguous USA. The latest big weather news is the 10 December 2021 tornado outbreak across several states. This is a painful reminder that significant tornado events can occur in any month of the year. It will be many days before the National Weather Service can compile post storm data and complete comprehensive damage surveys. As usual, this is a developing scenario that will evolve a great deal over the next few days and weeks. There are many other interesting stories to review, so let’s get started.
- This dinosaur was built like a tank with a tail that was a lethal weapon.
- Here’s a very cool astronomy read. “Giant Stars and the Ultimate Fate of the Sun.”
- The Omicron variant has a good chance of turning holiday gatherings into treacherous waters to navigate.
- A very unusual type of ice that takes on the appearance of human hairs has been puzzling scientists for almost a century is now understood. Here’s what it looks like and how it forms.
- Deforestation is a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face, but we see that frequently in entities that put profits ahead of climate and environmental concerns. Why is deforestation so bad for our planet and why is it a global problem?
- What’s behind the ‘wild’ weather in the USA as of late? Why do we have blizzard warnings in Hawaii and nothing of the sort in Colorado? Here’s a good, concise explanation.
- This drone footage of tornado damage in Mayfield, Kentucky is only a small part of the damage that occurred on 10 December 2021, but gives a perspective as to the intensity of this particular tornado event. In Kentucky alone, it’s feared that as many as 70 fatalities may have occurred.
WINTER WEATHER SAFETY
This week, we’ll continue posts on winter weather safety with at wind chill. This is one of the most dangerous winter weather hazards, especially in regions where winters are long and high winds are common. This handy chart will help you quickly determine wind chill and how long you can be exposed before frostbite and/or hypothermia can become a serious health danger.
Please keep in mind that ONLY NOAA weather radio, your local National Weather Service office, or reliable broadcast media are the BEST sources of important, timely, and potentially life-saving information on winter storm watches, warnings, and other related weather advisories! None of the links on this page should be used for life-&-death decisions or the protection of property!
That’s a wrap for this post! A big ‘Thank You’ to my followers in social media. If you’re on Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram, let’s connect! As for the COVID-19 pandemic, get vaccinated, sport a good fitting quality mask, practice good hand-washing hygiene, mind your social distancing, stay positive, and test negative!
See you next Saturday!
Media inquiries: email@example.com
Please note: queries regarding marketing, promotions, sales schemes, prizes, or papers/research that have not been under & approved by scientific peer review will not be accepted.
Copyright © 1998 – 2021 Tornado Quest, LLC